Walnut Cove, NC
Walnut Cove is a town in Stokes County, North Carolina, United States. The population was 1,425 at the 2010 census. It is the home of the Walnut Cove Springfest which draws many visitors to the area. Festival-organizers marked 1889, the towns incorporation date, but the towns roots date to the mid-18th century when it was known as Town Fork. Town Fork settlers formed a bond with Moravians in Bethania and Bethabara. Eventually, William Lash, a Moravian settler at Bethania, bought land along the Town Fork Creek, which later developed into a large plantation named Walnut Cove. The Town was a railroad center in its former years, and today remnants of the old Train Depot still stand on Depot Street. It is also home to historic Covington House (built in 1821), Fulp-Marshall Home (built in 1836), Culler Roller Mill now known as Monitor Roller Mill (built in 1900). Walnut Cove is also home to South Stokes High School, whose team mascot name honors the Native American Indian Saura tribe. Belews Lake and Hanging Rock State Park are located nearby.